Popular Posts

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Red State (2011)

This is story of a fundamentally religious community who use the guise of Christianity in order to exact punishment upon those "sinners" that go against their beliefs. This film was directed by Kevin Smith, who is also an actor, who was in the film also about religion, called Dogma. Great flick! Even "GOD" was portrayed by Alanis Morrisette. Anyways, I had heard of this controversial film on a horror forum site that I frequent and I thought why not give it a go. Here are my thoughts on RED STATE, starring Michael Parks, Melissa Leo, and John Goodman.

Let me first say that I have always been drawn to dramas about religion. Whether it be about contemporary or past religions, no matter the creed, religion just fascinates me on so many levels. Raised Catholic, I had always had that "fear of God" notion planted in my head. As I got older, I realized, I have to have faith in myself before I give up blind faith to a God, I perhaps may never meet. I truly believe in free will for myself and others, as long as you do right and help one another.

In Red State, the lead character named Mr. Cooper, played by the very convincing and charming Michael Parks, as a father, grandfather, and minister to his family and friends is very compelling in his unwavering faith  in God no matter at what cost of human life. In this film teenage boys are lured to a "religious compound" with no idea of course they are being lead to the jaws of hell spearheaded by of course, Mr. Cooper. His daughter Sara greets them at her trailer and offers up drinks before she "beds" them, when all of a sudden plans change and the boys are instead chained up and put in metal crates and brought to the chapel.

Minister Cooper thus starts his sermon while the boys and a man are tied up and covered up in sheets awaiting for Cooper to serve his sentence upon them. When he is finished up with his sermon and his granddaughter takes away the children to Bible study, then he decides to exact his punishment. First is a man who punished for his homosexual acts that were performed to his "partner" in a car parked in a wooded area. The "punishment" is not worth "crime" and becomes instead a victim to Mr.Cooper's house of the horrible sinners who must go straight to hell.

The teenage boys now try and make their escape from these wicked Christians who will stop at nothing to rid their home of sinners and disbelievers. Mr. Cooper's entire family are brainwashed and really do believe they are doing "right" by God. This community is fully loaded with ammo and gun power that they created almost a small Army for God. Heavy fire is placed upon to the FBI officers that are out there trying to stop their cause. Because the FBI has been investigating them for some time, the higher up's decide they are domestic terrorists and must be stopped no matter the lives lost. One agent, John Goodman wants to follow orders but his morals get in the way, for he knows innocent young children will ultimately pay for their grandfather' sins.

Once the FBI arrives to the compound the religious cult community immediately fires out incredible firepower in order to defend their home. The agents also fire back extremely heavy and give the compound a run for their money. In the end, a very loud siren ends the feuding and the "the cult" is forced to surrender. Because they are thought to be known terrorists, they will be locked up for the rest of their lives, especially Minister Cooper, because most of his family died during the gun fighting.

Excellent premise, acting, and cinematography. Michael Parks stood out to me as the outstanding calm minister, who believed he had the right to "punish" and "kill" Gods sinners. The directing, of course is impeccable. Kevin Smith captured the story of Minister Cooper and his "clan" quite colorfully and exacting. This film kept me interested and riveted until the bitter end.

I highly recommend this film, if you are a fan of Kevin Smith's body of work or even if you have not even heard of him, please watch it.

8.5/10

1 comment:

MrDreknowsbest said...

Great review and what i consider a very interesting film, surprisingly it was Directed by one of my favorite Directors Kevin Smith this along with Dogma have become 2 of my favorite movies by him even though i enjoy all of his films.

Michael Parks is a very big reason to watch this movie and i agree with everything you said about him also.

I just wanted to add John Goodman turns in a good performance as well especially towards the end of the movie.