Popular Posts

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Summer 2011 Hit - BRIDESMAIDS

This is one of my favorite comedies of 2011, besides "Bad Teacher" and "Hangover 2". To say that Kristen Wiig is a comedic female genius would not be doing her justice. This film is completely over the top and I love it. I think I almost peed my pants several times as I laughed so darned much. It was too bad that when I saw it in the theater, the there was not much laughter, such duds I thought! Oh wells to each their own. I remember when watching "Four Weddings and a Funeral" years ago also at the theater with my best friend, we had such a blast we never laughed so hard and loud with no accompaniment from others in the audience. 


Okay moving on. In the opening scene Annie is having hot steamy sex in multiple positions with the very cheesecake actor, named Jon Hamm ("Mad Men"), and WOW! What can I say, he does cheesy and hotness way too well. He is her resident booty call of a doof, who tries to tell her very politely to leave, and so when she leaves his Hollywood type pad she cannot get through the gate to her car, so she then very awkwardly proceeds to climb over the fence in her very short skirt. As she is doing so, someone opens this gate as she is "riding" on top of it. Hence, the merry laughs begin! In the end, Annie finds a very lovely man in Officer, Nathan Rhodes, ("Pirate Radio"), who does not exactly sweep her off her feet in the beginning. Its really a sweet love story that takes place during all the chaos of preparing for this wedding. 


More incredibly talented actors/actresses take center stage, such as the delightful Melissa McCarthy ("Gilmore Girls") as her stand out role as the "in-your-face", "say-it-like-you-mean-it" friend, who is Annie's tough love cheerleader. Her over the top antics made her one the most entertaining actresses to watch. She truly reminded me of Zach Galifianakis's character in "Hangover", who I absolutely love, and who never fails to crack me up every time.


Next up is the lovely Maya Rudolph as Lillian, who is actually a  personal friend of Kristen Wiig's from the iconic SNL show, and also gives a good performance as Annie's best friend, the character who is the "lucky one" getting married. They are truly such a great pairing of the comedic minds.


Then there is Rose Byrne, who was in the movie "Troy" and "Insidious", whose character is the very competitive and ever wanting to be perfect nemesis for Annie's character. They continually compete with each other for the best friend spot for Lillian, and incidentally, the ladies will do whatever it takes to one up each other.


In the end and with no surprise, everything comes together and Lillian has the perfect, heavenly wedding thanks to a little help from her Bridesmaids topped with a concluding song by the group Wilson Phillips, who are one of my favorite groups belting out "Hold On". So thoroughly entertaining it will have you laughing so hard, you will pee your pants and some may need to change their "Depend" undergarments. It certainly is no surprise to hear that this film and Kristen Wiig are both up for Golden Globe Awards. I wish her much good luck!





No comments: